WACAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). To apply for employment at WACAP, please fill out our Application for Employment
and send it, along with a cover letter, resume, references and salary requirements to WACAP, P.O. Box 88948, Seattle, WA 98138,
fax to 206-575-4148 or submit these documents by email to SharonK@wacap.org
Director of Communications
WACAP seeks a dynamic and creative individual to serve as our Director of Communications. This role is a full-time position, with flexible hours. Based out of our Renton offices, near Seattle, Washington, the Director of Communications is responsible for developing and implementing a compelling communication strategy designed to educate, inspire and motivate an audience to respond.
WACAP is a dynamic, global nonprofit that transforms lives through adoption. We are a champion for children, finding and preparing permanent families, and offering lifelong support after adoption. The ideal candidate should be prepared to creatively communicate WACAP’s mission through a diverse array of media platforms and develop a compelling online presence with the support of analytics and search engine optimization.
The Director of Communications should be comfortable to represent the agency in public presentations & events, ensuring that WACAP's work for children becomes widely known. Position is responsible for general recruitment, marketing/advertising, and engagement of multiple constituent types.
- Participate as a member of WACAP's Admin Leadership Team
- Create & Implement WACAP's Annual Marketing Plan and Operating Budget(s)
- Leading marketing, branding research with outside resources & implementing final results
- Coordinate communication efforts with Fund Development department.
- Responsible for overall supervision of Communications Department staff as well as volunteers and interns.
- Manage WACAP's crisis response strategy.
Recruitment of Adoptive Families:
- Supervise & manage WACAP's family recruitment efforts, via Adoption Information Specialist position, encompassing inquiries, information portals, customer service, surveys, and local events/fairs/info booths.
- Design and implementation of online advertising to drive inquiries and applications for adoption services. Including, but not limited to search engine optimization, web advertising, and social media ads.
WACAP Communications to Constituents and Community
- Supervise the strategy for, and creation of, newsletters, social media, agency videos, slideshows and other marketing tools.
- Recommend, plan, and implement WACAP advertising.
- Manage media contacts and relationships.
- Manage WACAP’s website and online presence, including posting new & corrected web content and uploading documents to WACAP information portals for prospective and current adoptive parents.
- Serve as WACAP’s “content expert” and internal consultant for any issues regarding communications & brand strategy.
- Speak on behalf of WACAP publicly and through the media.
- Requires Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, or related field.
- Two years of experience in communications or related field preferred.
- Requires web development skills, and familiarity with Customer Relationship Management tools. Experience with web editors (advanced tools a plus.)
- Understanding of adoption in the media preferred.
- Understanding of social media’s role in nonprofit communications.
- Must be well organized and able to multitask.
- Excellent leadership skills, and the ability to work well with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural competency with skills in diplomacy, which transcend cultural differences.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve from a global perspective.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to speak publicly on behalf of WACAP
- Willingness to take risks, to advocate for beliefs, to be innovative
- Commitment to WACAP’s mission, vision and values.
To apply - please send a cover letter with your resume and application per the instructions at the top of this page.
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor's
Required experience: Communications, Marketing, or related: 2 years